Community Care

Community Care services are those provided by social services and the NHS to help adults, children and their carers with their care needs. This can include help at home, respite care, access to the community, travel assistance, residential care and adaptations to your home.

The law in community care is used to challenge decisions made by local authorities and NHS trusts. The common breaches of law include; removal or reductions in care packages, delays or refusals in assessments and incorrect or unfair charges for necessary services.

If you are eligible for Legal Aid we can provide full representation (including case work and appearing in court) in the following areas (to find out about Legal Aid eligibility, please see here.)

  • Requesting, Reviewing & Challenging Care & Support Assessments for Adult Users and Carers
  • Challenging Personal Budgets & requesting Direct Payments
  • Challenging ‘Disabled Facilities Grants’ decisions
  • ‘Safeguarding’ Investigations
  • Securing Leaving Care Services for ‘Looked After Children’
  • ‘Child in Need’ Assessment including disabled children
  • Requesting aftercare services following sectioning under Mental Health Act 1983
  • Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards

If you are not sure if you are eligible for Legal Aid, or if your issue falls within the areas that are covered by Legal Aid, then please call our community care helpline on 020 7791 9800 and choose option 2.  Alternatively you can email us at or complete the contact form which you can find here.  You can also contact the Civil Legal Advice (CLA) line on 0345 345 4345, who can advise you on whether your matter falls within the legal aid coverage.

If you are not eligible for Legal Aid, or if your community care issue does not come within the matters listed above, we can offer assistance through our helpline but due to funding constraints are unable to offer full representation.  Please be in touch using the same contact methods mentioned in the preceding paragraph.

Skip to content