Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) is the replacement benefit for  ‘Disability Living Allowance’ for those aged between 16 and 64. This is not a means tested benefit and so a person can be entitled to Personal Independence Payment (PIP) even if they are working. Quite like DLA, Personal Independence Payment (PIP) comes in two components:  mobility and care.  To be entitled to Personal Independence Payment (PIP) a person must pass through 3 hurdles:

General Eligibility Criteria (this criteria includes having been within the UK for 12 months etc.)

Have a disability (checking to see if your disability/illness has or will last long enough to fall within their 12 month criteria)

Score enough descriptors (checking if you obtain enough points when comparing your disability to their disability list)

It is likely that you will have to go through a medical assessment for the DWP to consider whether you qualify for Personal Independence Payment (PIP).

If you are successful then you will be given an award which will be time limited for one or both components of ​Personal Independence Payment (PIP).

The current rates of this benefits are below​:


Daily living component

Daily living component  Weekly rate
Standard  £54.45
Enhanced  £81.30

Mobility component

Mobility component      Weekly rate
Standard      £21.55
Enhanced      £56.75


You can apply for PIP by calling the DWP on the below numbers:

Telephone: 0800 917 2222
Textphone: 0800 917 7777

​Please see our factsheet regarding Personal Independence Payment (PIP) for further details which you can find by going to our factsheets section. We have also put a number of the Government’s own guides to PIP at the above link so that you have different perspectives on the process.

You can also see the Government’s overview to Personal Independence Payments here:

You can see the Government’s Personal Independence Payment quick guide here:

This link has the Government’s full and extensive guide to Personal Independance Payments:

You can also see the governments guidance for health assesssors here:

DLA to PIP Map

Claimants are gradually being transferred from DLA to PIP by geographical are. The map detailing when this transfer will take place can be found at: